Medical Receptionist Entry Level - Float (Covina/San Gabriel Areas)
Posted on: May 15, 2022
OVERVIEW OF POSITION:Responsible for greeting patients,
answering phones, processing a variety of paperwork, processing
check-in/check-out, collecting co-pays and payments, and performing
other various front office duties in a fast-paced,
customer-oriented, clinical environment.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Consistently exhibits behavior and communication skills that
demonstrate Optum's commitment to superior customer service,
including quality, care and concern with each and every internal
and external customer.
- Verifies walk-in patient's name, demographics, insurance and
primary care provider.
- Explains and asks patient to complete appropriate forms.
- Directs patient to appropriate department as indicated by the
- Interacts with central departments as needed.
- Verifies all insurance eligibility.
- Recognizes outstanding balances and refers them to appropriate
staff for follow-up.
- Collects co-pays and payments as required.
- Collects co-pays and payments for all services, prints out
receipts and balances cash drawer daily according to cash control
- Contacts appropriate department for missing fisc prior to
- Demonstrates knowledge of contracted insurance plans and
procedures; knows which plans require referrals and/or prior
- Notifies provider's assistant of any no-shows or cancellations
- Handles multiple telephone lines.
- Follows all procedures contained in the financial policy.
- Makes follow-up appointments, provides departing patients an
appointment card with appropriate information, repeats to the
patient the date and time of next appointment, provider's name and
location of appointment.
- Calls patients with next day appointments to confirm time and
place. - Reschedules and cancels appointments as necessary.
- Monitors the lobby area for patients or visitors who may have
medical difficulties. - Assists and communicates with the assistant
or provider any patient issues.
- Keeps patients informed of wait times and communicates with
provider or assistant accordingly. - Notifies management or
complete customer communication form as appropriate.
- Maintains customer service level consistent with Optum's vision
by providing courteous and friendly demeanor when dealing with the
public and co-workers.
- Prints patient labels, provider schedules and snapshots as
- Uses sign-in sheet according to site policy.
- Takes complete, accurate and neat phone messages. - Documents
all telephone calls on appropriate form as defined by site
including date, time, patient's name, date of birth, phone numbers
and detailed reason for the call. - Retrieves medical record number
from computer system.
- Assists Medical Assistant and/or provider with returning
patient's non-medical calls as indicated by departmental
- Collects and accounts for all encounter forms. - Checks forms
for diagnosis and CPT codes. - Batches and forwards to appropriate
- Contacts "bumped" patients immediately by phone and reschedules
their appointments as appropriate.
- Answers MA/RN phone according to site policy when needed.
- Informs MA/RN of late arrivals and accommodates patients as
- Distributes and processes Workers' Compensation forms according
to site policy.
- Adheres to Universal Precautions at all times.
- Adheres to safety policies and procedures at all times.
- Uses, protects, and discloses Optum patients' protected health
information (PHI) only in accordance with Health Insurance
Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) standards.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.EDUCATION:
- High school degree/GED (preferred) or equivalent experience. -
- Up to and including 1 year of experience.
- Experience working with the public.Preferred:
- Over 1 year and up to and including 3 years of experience.
- Experience in medical reception and customer service.KNOWLEDGE,
- Computer literate.
- Ability to type 25 wpm.
- Working knowledge of general office duties.
- Working knowledge of contracted insurance plans.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Good telephone skills.
- Customer service-oriented.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Bilingual preferred.REQUIREMENT:
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential requirement of this
role. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and
local regulations as well as all client requirements and will
obtain necessary proof of vaccination prior to employment to ensure
- UnitedHealth Group requires all new hires and employees to
report their COVID-19 vaccination status
- COVID-19 Work Location Requirement: You will be asked to
perform this role in an office setting or other company
- Employees are required to screen for symptoms using an
Optum-approved symptom screener prior to entering the work site
each day in, or Employees much comply with any state and local
masking orders. In addition, when in an Optum building, employees
are expected to wear a mask in areas where physical distancing
cannot be attained.Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an
entire organization around one giant objective; make health care
work better for everyone. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group
family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds
and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to
reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high
performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter.
Here you'll find incredible ideas in one incredible company and a
singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(SM)Diversity
creates a healthier atmosphere: Optum and its affiliated medical
practices are Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action
employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration
for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age,
national origin, protected veteran status, disability status,
sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status,
genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Optum and its affiliated medical practices is a drug-free
workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before
Keywords: Optum, Covina , Medical Receptionist Entry Level - Float (Covina/San Gabriel Areas), Healthcare , Covina, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!